RE: Is someone work on hebrew palestinian/babylonian punctuation?

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 01:27:16 CDT

    This was heavily discussed last year, and the various findings were that it
    was a very complex issue (made even more complex because of normalization
    issues related to the ordering of the needed diacritics). Other issues also
    exist with the correct positioning of these diacritics between base letters.

    So more studies were felt needed involving experts in the region and the
    rare Semitists that wok on old Semitic texts (including also the need for
    handling the transition from Phoenician, and to other Semitic scripts, like
    Syriac, or early Greek transcriptions). Now this should be discussed on the
    separate Unicode Hebrew discussion list.

    Be prepared to know a lot how Unicode normalization works, and why this is
    complex to add vocalization on top of the existing encoding of the modern
    (simplified) Hebrew script.

    Anyway the hot discussions last years on the Hebrew list have paced down a
    lot, and the Hebrew list is nearly inactive. Let's hope that the various
    subscribers on this list are working together, and discussing with the few
    experts around the world (and this takes time when there's not much money to
    finance such development outside of religious communities, or the various
    experts are part of small communities and copies of the needed accurate
    documents are so difficult to get.)

    Are there some other expert groups working in the large and wellknown public
    libraries and universities? Do they meet in some conference? Are there
    students writing research papers from their discoveries in large religious
    archives? Are there legal or political issues against such disclosure of
    information?

    If most of the work is made by fervent hobbyists, may be they lack time and
    money to complete their projects and agree on a common proposal backed by a
    strong (but evolvable) encoding model (including a roadmap to avoid future
    interoperability issues).