Re: [unicode] CJK variation modifier

From: Richard Wordingham (richard.wordingham@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 15:17:49 CDT

    Gerrit Sangel wrote on Monday, May 21, 2007 6:43 PM

    > Yes, I knew of the limitation of True Type/Open Type. I don't really know,
    > but
    > I guess Open Type won't be the end of font development? Maybe in the
    > future
    > there could be a font format which does not have the limitation of 64000
    > characters and the computers will be fast enough to render them as fast as
    > now?

    Even now *some* applications can read 'True Type' fonts with more than the
    64k glyphs. The trick is to use the size of the glyf table and ignore the
    glyph count in the maxp table. This works because most characters don't
    need complicated layout information - it's only really needed for the
    alphabetic froth on top of the CJK character catalogue that makes up the
    bulk of Unicode.

    Of course, some of us are horrified by such hacks. Windows has work-arounds
    to link fonts, but a better method of linking fonts is desirable.

    Richard.