RE: Geographical language data

From: Michael Maxwell (mmaxwell@casl.umd.edu)
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 20:08:38 CDT

    Christopher Fynn wrote:
    > Linguasphere also had a language classification and code scheme which
    > many people preferred to that of SIL
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguasphere_language_code <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguasphere_language_code> >

    This is the first I've seen of these codes. Is it the case that the numeric prefix on these codes, which was intended to stand for language families (where known) or geographic region (if genetic affiliation was unknown) were expected to be unstable? That is, if someone were to demonstrate that Waorani (a language of Ecuador, currently with no known genetic affiliation) in fact belonged to the Chibchan family, or some other family yet to be discovered, would it receive a new numeric prefix?

    (Apologies if this shows up as some sort of HTML mail--I'm sending this through a webmail interface, and there doesn't seem to be any setting for plain text msgs :-(.)

       Mike Maxwell
       CASL/ U MD