Re: Apostrophes at www.unicode.org

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Aug 22 2007 - 15:10:26 CDT

    On 8/22/2007 3:58 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > I noticed that the page
    > http://www.unicode.org/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html contains the
    > APOSTROPHE U+0027 in many of the names of the translations (e.g.
    > Albanian, French, Italian, Maltese) as well as elsewhere. I did no
    > find any obvious feedback address and, moreover, this seems to be a
    > matter of principle rather than just a technical fix.
    The genesis is likely the use of HTML editing software, such as
    FrontPage, that does not support U+2019. The Unicode editors removed the
    &39; from all the UAXs as part of preparing them for print in the back
    of the book, but I wouldn't expect them to have the time or bandwidth to
    do that for translations - esp. since none of them could proof the
    result for most of the languages, so it's better to leave them as submitted.

    A./