Re: Apostrophes at www.unicode.org

From: Eric Muller (emuller@adobe.com)
Date: Thu Aug 23 2007 - 11:15:09 CDT

    James Kass wrote:

    > ASCII quotes and apostrophes are valid Unicode characters. But,
    > surely preferred characters should be used in accordance with the
    > standard.

    For the UDHR texts, which are very simple in terms of character usage, I
    am trying to follow that line fairly rigorously. So I would prefer to
    have no U+002D - HYPHEN-MINUS, but either U+2010 ‐ HYPHEN, U+2212 −
    MINUS SIGN (unlikely in this text), U+2013 – EN DASH or U+2014 — EM
    DASH. Most of the time, it should be U+2010 ‐ HYPHEN. However, the
    support in fonts for U+2010 is less than perfect, and some users they
    will get a .notdef glyph. I am faced with a dilemma: either follow the
    line or make the documents more user-friendly. I already received two
    comments in favor of user-friendliness.

    Eric.