Re: Western musical symbols font

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser (marnen@marnen.org)
Date: Mon Sep 17 2007 - 02:43:06 CDT

    On Sep 17, 2007, at 1:02 AM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Hans Aberg wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a font that can display the Western musical ornament
    >> symbols U+1D19D MUSICAL SYMBOL ORNAMENT STROKE-3 and U+1D1A0
    >> MUSICAL SYMBOL ORNAMENT STROKE-6?
    >
    > I don't think any commonly available font contains them.

    [Flying blind without a code chart in front of me]

    As far as I can tell, the Unicode musical symbols block is not all
    that well supported by existing fonts (as a composer and music
    copyist, I hope that the situation will change). However, there are
    plenty of non-Unicode music fonts out there, and some will contain
    these symbols. Perhaps your best bet is to use a font editor* to
    simply copy the appropriate glyph into the right slot...

    * Fontforge is good, powerful, and free.

    Sorry not to have better news. Are you trying to find font coverage
    information as such, or do you just need to display the glyphs
    regardless of encoding?

    Best,

    --
    Marnen Laibow-Koser