Re: Emoticons (was: Root and fraction (2 new symbols))

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Mon Oct 08 2007 - 11:34:36 CDT

    In a way, we already do, since the letters SWALK, CU, LU2, etc., all
    conjure up visual images in the brain, as do so many of the similars
    now being added to such by the advent of text messaging on telephones
    - the only advantage of "emoticon" being that they are language-
    independent (although not culture-independent) pictures. Never
    really took to the term "smileys", myself, espec. since they mostly
    seemed to turn up as "frownies" or "winkies". Whatever happened to
    'dingbats', as a technical term? Took me a long time to get used to
    that one, and even longer to get to like it, but now that I do, it,
    too, seems to be out of fashion. Is "emoticon" now the official
    technical term by which all such symbols must be collectively
    referred to in all IT standards dealing with them?
    mg

    On 2 Oct 2007, at 10:08, scríobh James Kass:

    > Perhaps someday soon we'll all be able to exchange ROFL and GD&R
    > symbols as plain text characters.
    >
    > How about that?

    - -
    Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)