RE: Proposal for matching negated sets (was Re: New Public Review Issue: Proposed Update UTS #18)

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Oct 09 2007 - 10:06:54 CDT

    Hans Aberg wrote:
    > On 9 Oct 2007, at 00:08, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >
    > > So the question becomes really: What does a negated *regexp* match?
    >
    > The link I gave suggested: the complement language.

    Apparently you did not follow the discussions. This is just the intuitive
    answer, but not enough to determine the effective behaviour!

    The "complement" language can only be understood if you know what is the
    "complete" language, which is directly linked to the way texts are modelized
    and matched (including for special cases like aggregates: consider the case
    of "a*" or "a+", and think about what can be their complement, because it is
    exactly the same problem, if no semantic is defined for the "complete"
    language).

    You can't answer to these questions as it interacts with the possible
    (optional and unspecified) rules of the longest match or leftmost match if
    they are implemented, or with the ordering of matches when multiple matches
    are returned in a sequence or with enumerating methods like
    "regexp.nextMatch()" or "regexp.previousMatch()".