Re: New FAQ page

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@icu-project.org)
Date: Fri Oct 12 2007 - 10:39:36 CDT

    > And that, since so many existing fonts don't support them, those users
    > might just happen to see a visual indication that something isn't working.

    Your chart example means absolutely zilch. In the Unicode charts, space is
    given by a box with SP in it; tab is given by a box with HT in it;
    zero-width joiner is given by a box with ZWJ in it. That simply doesn't mean
    that a page should be littered with boxes (or moral equivalents thereto)
    instead of invisible gaps for space or tab, or that ZWJ's in a position
    where the adjacent characters cannot be joined should show up as boxes.

    It is perfectly appropriate to have these kinds of visual appearances in a
    chart, or in a Show Hidden mode. But they are just wrong for normal usage;
    it's not the expected appearance to see SP, HT, and ZWJ boxes on a page
    instead of their being invisible.

    The VS is a *request* for a specific glyph variant, out of the many that
    might be appropriate for a character. If that specific glyph variant is not
    available, it is perfectly correct and desired to see another appropriate
    variant instead. In that respect, it is like a joiner between characters
    that can't join. You don't want to see a box.

    Mark

    --
    Mark