Re: Emoticons (was: Root and fraction (2 new symbols))

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2007 - 02:08:41 CDT

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote,

    > "ASCII Art" has become a misnomer, since here (as so often
    > nowadays) "ASCII" really means "plain text", without implying
    > any particular encoding or character repertoire. It would
    > better be called "Plain Text Art" (or with some more neutral
    > word in place of "Art").

    "Typewriter art" is what we called it back when I
    learned to type on a mechanical typewriter.

    There were even printed instructions for making
    page-long "pictures" of famous people, such as
    George Washington.

    A Google search of "typewriter art" shows that the
    term is still in vogue.

    One example, "Modernmechanix.com is featuring an
    article from a 1948 issue of Popular Mechanics that
    shows an owl created with typewriter art: ..."

    Best regards,

    James Kass