RE: FYI: Regex paper for UTC

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2007 - 13:15:33 CDT

    Hans Aberg wrote:
    > I think you said in another place that you want to find all matches
    > in the language produced by an RE. Normally, one is not interested in
    > that. So if you want that as a feature, you need to find a good
    > description of it. But implementation may not want to have it.

    The intent is not to find all matches, but having the possibility of finding
    them all; if an implementation decides arbitrarily which matches are
    interesting, then it will be limited, the implementation is incomplete.
    Having the possibility to select which matches are needed is something
    important. (the selection is then performed by additional filter rules,
    which may be external to the regexp engine itself, based on manual user
    selection, or automated internally with some additional syntax.
    Even PERL-based regexps allow such subselections (partly) using some other
    extensions. Don't say this is not needed.