Re: Submission to ConScript Unicode Registry: Sylabica

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@roadrunner.com)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 02:35:42 CDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy underscore p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > I'm not sure however that you must call them "ligatures" (ligatures
    > are normally typographic enhancements for legibility and they remain
    > optional even if they are often recommanded, depending on the font
    > styles actually used).

    Ligation may be language-dependent as well as font-dependent. I see no
    reason why a given ligature cannot be declared "mandatory" even if fonts
    and display engines might render separate glyphs (which would be
    considered less than complete support). I did exactly that with
    Ewellic.

    > If the ligatures are optional, it's best not to encode them at all,
    > like you did; but if they carry a semantic distinction in your
    > notation, then only they become mandatory and merit specific encoding
    > (and so they are no longer ligatures but unbreakable letters or
    > clusters).

    I think what Martin has in his Sylabica can be broken into three
    categories:

    1. true typographic ligatures
    2. combining marks
    3. contextual forms

    It might be interesting to go through the chart on page 7 and see which
    are which.

    NEW URL -->  http://home.roadrunner.com/~dewell  <-- NEW URL