Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: Lorna_Priest@sil.org
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 13:02:17 CDT

    Tim Armes wrote on 10/24/2007 03:07:51 AM:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for accurate answers to the following questions. I've

    This is almost like asking "how long is a string?" :-) I don't think the
    answers to these questions currently exist. The CLDR is making an attempt
    at documenting characters required for writing a language which might
    answer #1, but it doesn't cover anywhere near all the languages in the
    world.

    > 1) How many and which languages absolutely require the use of
    > combinging marks due to the fact there the pre-composed glyphs
    > aren't sufficient?

    I just know there are a lot

    > 2) How many and which languages absolutely require the use of
    > variant selectors?
    >
    > 3) How many and which languages absolutely require the use of variant
    glyphs?

    A variant by whose standard? The glyph TUS displays may not actually be
    the first choice for a lot of languages. For example, because we (SIL)
    believe more languages use a capital ENG (U+014A) that looks like an
    enlarged small eng, rather than an "N" shaped capital ENG, we have chosen
    to make a "variant" of the capital ENG (U+014A) be the default glyph in
    our fonts with the glyph as shown in TUS as a "variant" in our fonts.

    If you are interested, you can see a list of all the variants we've added
    to our Latin/Cyrillic fonts here:
    http://scripts.sil.org/SILUnicodeRF_Features We have not documented which
    languages use these variants, and it doesn't help you with other scripts.

    Lorna Priest
    SIL International