Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 10:46:53 CDT

    Andrew West wrote,

    >Unfortunately the similarity between these two characters means that
    >sometimes the wrong character is used. For example, in the on-line
    >version of the Kangxi Dictionary U+3ADA is used throughout for the
    >entry for U+66F6, and U+66F6 is used throughout for the entry for
    >U+3ADA !
    >
    ><http://www.zdic.net/zd/zi/ZdicE6Zdic9BZdicB6.htm> (click on "Kangxi
    >Zidian" tab)
    ><http://www.zdic.net/zd/zi2/ZdicE3ZdicABZdic9A.htm> (click on "Kangxi
    >Zidian" tab)
    >
    >(at least I think they've got the characters the wrong way round --
    >but maybe it's me and/or Unihan that is confused)

    It's confusing!

    There are plenty of "confusables" in CJK Unicode. (As Andrew
    and others on this list know very well.)

    More examples: 㒨𠑗 / 㖈䎛
    ...and, with the meat/flesh vs. moon radicals (which often look
    identical in some positions in some fonts) there are several,
    㬵胶/㬶𦛩/㬺幐/㬻䐠/䏓朊/䏞𦚜/䑃朦/...

    Any of these "confusables" might represent spoofing/phishing
    opportunities.

    Best regards,

    James Kass