Re: [unicode] Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 11:52:00 CDT

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 10:05:27 -0600
    "John H. Jenkins" <jenkins@apple.com> wrote:
    >On Oct 26, 2007, at 9:17 AM, David Starner wrote:
    >> Are there a significant number of Han ideographs in Extension A that
    >> would rarely see print today even in scholarly editions of old works?
    >
    >Yes.

    Excuse me, if you know any good reference about the "popularity"
    of CJK Unified Ideographs Extension A in PRC, Taiwan and Korea,
    please let me know.

    There are 3 Japanese sources of CJK Unified Ideographs Extension
    A, JIS X 0213:2000, JIS X 0213:2004, and "Unified Japanese IT
    Vendors Contemporary Ideographs, 1993". JIS X 0213 had collected
    the ideographs used in personal names & toponyms which cannot
    be unified with unification rule (quite similar to ISO/IEC 10646
    Annex S). So, I think they are not "rarely see print today even
    in scholarly editions of old works".

    # I don't have the last one (how can I do obtain it?), but I
    # guess it was something like a glyphic variant collections for
    # commertial printings that JIS X 0208 or 0213 unification rule
    # disallowed to allocate separate character code in JIS.

    But I don't know about the background of PRC/Taiwanese/Korean
    sources. If you know, please let me know.

    Regards,
    mpsuzuki