RE: Use of acronyms (was RE: purl.net/net/cp)

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 23:14:48 CDT

    Don Osborn wrote,

    > First, use of abbreviations and acronyms is a shortcut or
    > convenience, which becomes especially useful when one is hurried,
    > or just to avoid typing out longer phrases.

    It's true that these may be a shortcut or convenience for the
    one employing them. Often, though, they are a time-consuming
    minor annoyance for people who are trying to read the posts
    containing them. That's the point Philippe Verdy made in his
    original post.

    Your letter (self-described as a "sermon") is well taken. We
    should all use discretion and thoughtfulness in using abbreviations,
    especially in an international forum.

    Best regards,

    James Kass