RE: Afaka script

From: Michael Maxwell (mmaxwell@casl.umd.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2007 - 18:59:00 CST

    You might see if you can find this:

    Huttar, George L. 1992. "Afaka and his Creole syllabary: The social context of a writing system." In Shin Ja J. Hwang and William R. Merrifield (eds.), Language in context: Essays for Robert E. Longacre, 593-604. Summer Institute of Linguistics and the University of Texas at Arlington Publications in Linguistics, 107. Dallas: Summer Institute of Linguistics and the University of Texas at Arlington.

    If you can't get the book or article directly, you might write to SIL (sil.org) and ask them to pass your query on to George Huttar. SIL lists a number of documents they've published in this language, all in a Latin script. I suspect one reason for that is that education in Surinam uses a Latin script, so by using more or less the same writing system for this language, speakers are likely to be able to pick up a book in this language and read it without special training.

       Mike Maxwell
       CASL/ U MD