Re: Component Based Han Ideograph Encoding (WAS: Level of Unicode support required for various languages)

From: Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 06:57:12 CST

    On 10/30/07, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@in-nomine.org> wrote:
    > -On [20071027 19:49], Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com) wrote:
    > >One can rather easily imagine an Open Source-style project which would
    > >set out to define a new and independent standard for encoding Han
    > >ideographs based on their components and the relative positioning of
    > >those components.
    >
    > Wouldn't this be kind of similar to a system such as SKIP as devised by Jack
    > Halpern?

    My (limited) understanding is that SKIP is an indexing system for
    Kanji devised for the purpose of organizing Kanji in dictionaries and
    similar resources. I would be skeptical whether a system designed for
    one purpose would be complete enough or appropriately architected to
    be used for an entirely different purpose (i.e., encoding of unencoded
    Kanji). SKIP might nevertheless contain useful ideas for an encoding
    system.

    - Ed Trager