Re: Level of Unicode support required for various languages

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 15:32:01 CST

    On Oct 30, 2007, at 3:06 PM, Ben Monroe wrote:

    > Yes, my surname.
    > I mentioned it around March 2002 on this list.
    > You may find it in L2/07-161 (Index UTC00119) and the status is "Not
    > to encode".

    Ah, OK.

    First of all, this character wasn't "rejected" per se, and certainly
    not by the IRG.

    The "not to encode" status is supposed to mean that either it's
    already encoded or is a variant of an already encoded variant. (Not
    necessarily a unifiable variant, BTW.) I have an action item to wrap
    all of the variants into a registered variant set under UTS 37.

    However, in this case I'm left scratching my head. This should not
    have the "not to encode" status. I don't know how that happened, but
    it was a mistake, and I've altered the status to reflect this.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com