Re: Dotless J with stroke.

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2007 - 16:35:59 CST

    On 11 Dec 2007, at 22:05, scríobh John Hudson:

    > But if you look at the IPA alphabet, as published in the IPA
    > Handbook, it is pretty clear that there is an expectation -- around
    > which a lot of other assumptions in both design and naming are made
    > -- that the j has a descending hook of a kind that corresponds to
    > *all* the other descending hooks in the alphabet....
    >
    > My view is that the descending hook is a normative form of the IPA
    > alphabet, since it is such an important and repeated feature of so
    > many IPA letters...

    As a subscriber member of the International Phonetic Association for
    many years, I have to agree with the above, which strengthens the
    reason for registering IPA as the unique script it is.
    mg

    - -
    Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
    27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an