Re: Directionality Standard

From: 'Stephane Bortzmeyer' (bortzmeyer@nic.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 16:10:46 CST

    On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 07:56:07PM -0500,
     Behnam <behnam.rassi@gmail.com> wrote
     a message of 129 lines which said:

    > Can't a Hebrew site have a news in Hebrew, with a long quotation of
    > the speech of an American politician in English in an ltr paragraph?

    Yes, and Unicode handles it fine, in plain text, without the need for
    support from a markup language (because each Unicode character has a
    direction).

    You need support from a markup language (for instance with the dir
    attribute of HTML) for some cases (such as the often quoted
    exclamation mark) but not for the general case, like the one you
    mention.

    [And that's probably why many markup languages, like RSS, lived until
    now without such support.]