Re: missing chars for Arabic (sequential tanween)

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2007 - 18:46:10 CST

    Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

    > I think [contrasted use] is precisely what arno is showing here. Note what he says
    > just a paragraph down from what you quote:

    >> Just to demonstrated that not ALL tanween signs look different in
    >> Qahira1924 orthography, I have included one normal tanween from that
    >> copy: circled blue for being Qahira1924, red for being normal.

    > So *some* of the Qahira1924 tanweens are normal, some are sequential;
    > they are being used contrastively.

    Ah, I had misunderstood Arno's colour annotation, as I thought he was implying that this
    *looked* normal but was actually sequential.

    > Moreover, there appears to be a
    > meaning attached to them too, in the next paragraph of arno's letter:

    >> Qahira1924 uses the sequential tanween signs both for idghâm
    >> (assimilation) and ikhfa' (partial suppression) -- when there is no
    >> assimilation and no partial suppression (hiding) Qahira1924 uses the
    >> normal tanween signs. So it is not that these are glyph variants.
    > So there is a semantic load to these signs as well; they indicate a
    > particular grammatical effect (or two).

    Yes. Arno was kind enough to send me another example. I've mentioned to him the Arabic
    discussion list that Michael set up (currently quiet but awaiting such activity as this).
    He has good quality illustrations of this issue, and I think it would be relatively easy
    to document the contrastive use and a likely case for encoding.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com