Re: CLDR Usage of Gregorian Calendar Era Terms: BC and AD -- Can we please have "CE" and "BCE" ?

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2007 - 21:32:54 CST

    Ed Trager wrote:
    > Also, I am very interested in seeing what people on this list consider
    > as appropriate translations and corresponding abbreviations for
    > "Common Era" and "Before Common Era" for various languages ...

    Modern Hebrew refers to the time periods as "lisfirah" and "lifnei
    hasfirah", or "lisfirat hanotsrim"/"lifnei sfirat hanotsrim",
    abbreviated לסה״נ and לפנה״ס or לפסה״נ, meaning "according to the [time]
    count (of the Christians)" and "before the count (of the Christians)".
    Both follow the date, like CE and BCE and BC.

    You occasionally also see, used with dates of the Hebrew calendar, לפ״ק
    and לפ״ג, which indicate whether or not the thousands are omitted from
    the year (frequently dates are given לפ״ק, in which this year is תשס״ח,
    which is 768, though properly speaking it's 5768, which would be ה׳תשס״ח
    in the "long" counting.

    ~mark