Re: [OT] Re: CLDR Usage of Gregorian Calendar Era Terms: BC and AD -- Can we please have "CE" and "BCE" ?

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2007 - 15:59:45 CST

    David Starner wrote:

    > This thread was clearly identified as a technical discussion about the
    > CLDR, which is not horribly off topic.

    Note: [OT]

    > If we really want to discuss this, I could point that dismissing
    > Satanism because some Satanists are Nazis is a little unfair,

    Did anyone 'dismiss Satanism' on that basis? I was careful to point out that I was
    presenting one particular phenomenon of Satanism, as a foil to the relativism of the
    Religious Tolerance website.

    > considering the fact that Nazism is fundamentally a Christian
    > movement.

    ???

    Nazism was identified and condemned as anti-Christian by many religious leaders including
    both the contemporary popes (Pius XI and Pius XII). Nazi racial and nationalist theory was
    specifically identified as contrary to Christian teaching, notably in the papal encyclical
    _Mit Brennender Sorge_ of 1937. The Nazi leadership themselves were very frank about their
    goal of destroying Christian culture in Europe and replacing it with a neopagan state
    religion. That they were able to leverage the ugly heritage of Christian anti-semitism as
    part of their programme to eradicate the Jews does not make Nazism 'fundamentally a
    Christian movement'. There were Christian fascist movements, notably in Spain and France,
    which felt sympathy for the totalitarian regime in Germany, but their religion is what
    distinguishes them from Nazism, not what makes them similar.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com
    Gulf Islands, BC      tiro@tiro.com