Re: minimizing size (was Re: allocation of Georgian letters)

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2008 - 07:07:07 CST

    -On [20080207 12:32], Michael S. Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com) wrote:
    >Having flown halfway around the world to talk to people who for whatever
    >reasons, both valid and invalid (and not really distinguishing which is
    >which on their list of concerns), are unhappy with a language encoding that
    >in their view doubles or worse the amount of bytes used to store their
    >language in Unicode, I can tell you that this as very real concern on some
    >people's minds.

    And at the same time the same kind of people you most likely talk about, or
    perhaps even less computer savvy, never complain about this sort of thing.
    So, who's more right? Your people, my people?

    They just use their computer with whatever defaults are available and
    honestly couldn't care much about encodings or the potential size of the
    resulting file.

    Are you sure you talked to Joe and Jane Average? The fact they know about
    encodings seems to me you are talking to more technically-minded people.

    >And we get a lot further by acknowledging their concerns and then showing
    >them that they have less to be concerned about than they think, in the end,
    >then we ever would by telling them there are wrong, wrong, wrong.

    I did not say that they are wrong, wrong, wrong so I will just assume you're
    talking in a generic sense here.

    >TALKING to people, explaining, without that implicit "you idiot" tacked on
    >to each sentence gets people a lot further.

    Sure, agreed that it needs neutral explanations, but I also again postulate
    that you are talking with more technical savvy people than I am apparently
    talking with.

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    http://www.in-nomine.org/ | http://www.rangaku.org/
    We have met the enemy and they are ours...