Re: Problem in Line breaking

From: Satoshi Nakagawa (snakagawa@infoteria.co.jp)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2008 - 03:06:31 CST

    On 2008/02/25, at 6:22, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >>> LB30
    >>> Do not break between letters, numbers, or ordinary symbols and
    >>> opening
    >>> or closing punctuation.
    >>>
    >>> CL × (AL | NU)
    >
    > In fact the rules translate as CL % AL, i.e. it's an indirect break:
    > CL × AL
    > but
    > CL × SP* ÷ AL

    I would not agree.

    See 7.3,

    > % denotes an indirect break opportunity: B % A is equivalent
    > to B × A and B SP+ ÷ A;
    > in other words, do not break before A, unless one or more spaces
    > follow B.

    We can only say CL % AL is equivalent to CL × AL and CL ×
    SP* ÷ AL here. So CL × AL is not equivalent to CL % AL.
    Because the left hand side doesn't have "and CL × SP* ÷
    AL" part.

    I would say in other words, if A × B allowed a break,
    the A × B rule would be no information.

    I think CL × AL doesn't allow a break between CL and AL, doesn't
    it?

    --
    Satoshi Nakagawa