RE: Problem in Line breaking

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 07:21:18 CST

    Asmus Freytag wrote:

    > PS: whether or not "before, after" allows a break after the
    > comma and the following space (2 characters) is beside the
    > point for Japanese text, which customarily does NOT have spaces.

    True, but you shouldbe more specific: Japanse text do not *encode* spaces,
    because they are not needed with the glyph forms used by ideographic
    punctuation signs that are larger than basic european punctuation.

    Note that even when writing with halfwidth kanas, the punctuations are still
    written with the fullwidth glyph that includes a spacing margin on the left
    side. It can be said that the ideographic puntuations are composing in the
    same square a narrow glyph for the punctuation sign itself, and a halfwidth
    space. You don't need fiurther spacing after them. So the closing
    ideographic punctuation are already followed internally by space. The rule
    that was created for parentheses around optional Latin
    prefixes/suffixes/infixes in the same word should not apply to ideographic
    punctuations.

    But this would require changing the line-breaking class for these large
    ideographic punction signs to something else than OP and CL, when they
    already embed na implied space, and then it would solve the problem by
    treating them according to CL%AL as if these CL were CL SP and so CL × SP ÷
    AL would correctly allow the linebreaking after the ideographic comma or
    ideographic full stop...

    But there remains the case of ideographic numbers written with fullwidth
    digits, we should still have CL × NU to avoid breaking a number after a
    grouping or decimal separator withing the same number...