Re: how to add all latin (and greek) subscripts

From: Kirill Smelkov (kirr@landau.phys.spbu.ru)
Date: Sat Jun 28 2008 - 07:19:22 CDT

    On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 09:30:58AM +0200, Ondrej Certik wrote:
> [...]

    > > Unicode support as well as special fonts, and they wouldn't survive
    > > transcoding anyway, meaning the issues you encountered with your examples
    > > aren't as relevant in that field of application.
    > >
    > > A./
    > >
    > > PS: in the late 90's a request had been forwarded from people maintaining a
    > > chemical database to add a small number of additional Greek subscripts. The
    > > rationale was that they type of database was not able to handle any markup.
    > > The request never went anywhere, for lack of specific input from the
    > > submitters beyond an initial discussion, and it is unknown how they solved
    > > their problem. The database was intended for regulatory purposes, so one
    > > assumes that some solution was found, but there has been no information.
    >

    > For general mathematical formulas, one needs to use TeX or a similar
    > system (mathml for example, but the current rendering engines for
    > mathml, like in browsers, do not look as good as TeX). Of course we
    > support this in sympy, but what I am asking for is to improve the
    > experience in the terminal, because you cannot use tex or mathml in
    > the terminal (those require a full graphical fronted, like a browser,
    > or a windows application)
    >
    > To give you the idea what I mean, look at these examples:
    >
    > http://code.google.com/p/sympy/wiki/PrettyPrinting
    >
    > (especially the screenshots of the terminals at the end). See also
    > this thread for the background why we want that:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/sympy/browse_thread/thread/18fbaa3020c390c5
    >
    > The observation is, that one can take advantage of unicode and print a
    > surprisingly lot of formulas in a plain text (terminal) mode. E.g.:
    >
    > ½∂ᵦφ∂ᵝφ
    >
    > but as I said, some characters are missing. As I understand, unicode
    > still has a lot of free space to add more characters, right? Is there
    > some technical problem with it? If not, let's discuss the
    > philosophical issues: you can do all superscripts, except "q". I
    > understand those could be from historical reasons, but anyway, let's
    > just add "q" somewhere and be done with it. Then let's add all missing
    > latin letters to subscripts, there are already 8 of them, so let's add
    > the rest too. And then the same for greek super and subscripts.
    >
    > Some of you objected (if I understand) that one should not use sub or
    > superscripts, because those are meant only for backward compatibility,
    > one should use a markup. Well, as Kent has remarked, it is useful in
    > many cases. That's why all the numbers were added. Well, the latin
    > (and greek) letters would be *very* useful to math, because you can
    > represent tensors easily with it. If there were not latin/greek
    > sub/superscripts in unicode, I would understand that. But in the
    > present case, where clearly the support is already there, only half
    > finished, it seems to me that the best way to go forward is to finish
    > the support for all latin/greek sub/superscripts.

    I can only second this!

    The support for latin super and subscripts is already half-there, so it
    would be *very* convenient to have it 100% done.

    Markup is good, but a lot of research environment still work in plain
    terminal (e.g. like XTerm), so having unicode building blocks is quite
    handy.

    Look, support for e.g. next is already there in unicode:

             ∞
             ⌠
      v(t) = ⎮ k(τ - t)*s(τ) dτ, где
             ⌡
             0

                 -ⅈ*β*z
      Ψ₀(z) = C*ℯ

    So maybe let's do it 100% and consistent?

    > What do you think? If you are not against and agree with me that it
    > should be done, I'd like to do the work --- I'd appreciate any
    > pointers about what should I do.
    > If you don't agree, I'd like to discuss it. :)

    I could too try to help.

    Thanks beforehand.

    --
        Всего хорошего, Кирилл.