Re: Question about the directionality of "Old Hungarian" (document N3531)

From: Hosszu Gabor (hosszu@nimrud.eet.bme.hu)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2008 - 03:37:41 CST

    On 11/2/2008 8:09 AM, Peter Zilahy Ingerman, PhD wrote:
    > Perhaps I'm being confused ... it's been a long time ... but I seem to recall
    > that there are, actually, two types of boustrophedon.
    >
    > If memory serve me correctly, the older type mirrored the characters on the
    > right-to-left line, but the newer type didn't, although the line was,
    > nonetheless, written from right to left.

    Exactly, you are right. In the Szekler-Hungarian Rovas the Bologna stick
    calendar and the 16 pieces of Rovas sticks from Kiskunhalas (Hungary) used
    the older type, the other script (proposal N3527.pdf, Fig. 14.10-12) uses
    the newer one.

    Gábor

    Dr. Gabor Hosszu, Ph.D., Assoc. Prof.
    Dept. of Electron Devices, BME