Re: Question about the directionality of "Old Hungarian" (document N3531)

From: Hosszu Gabor (hosszu@nimrud.eet.bme.hu)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2008 - 03:57:17 CST

    On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Christopher Fynn wrote:

    > IMO the Rovas stick examples which Dr. Gábor mentioned are not really
    > "boustrophedon" since there is only a single line of text on a side.

    Gábor is enough :)
    My Christian name is Gábor (Hungarian version of Gabriel).

    On a stick only one line can be written into one side. But when you read
    it, you have to follow the boustrophedon directionality. In October 4th in
    the "Alive Rovas" Symposium I was able to read the reconstructed version
    of the Bologna stick calendar. It was very interesting, since it was
    (probably) just the same as the original one made in the 13th century.

    Anyway the bourstrophedon directionality is originated from writing
    into sticks. On the paper the mirrored lines are quite unconfortable.

    Gábor