Mirrored ASCII

From: Mark Davis (mark@macchiato.com)
Date: Tue Nov 04 2008 - 15:35:25 CST

    Mirrored ASCII

    Document at: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfqr8rd5_353ft4xw6hj

    For testing BIDI UI enablement, it turns out to be very useful to use
    mechanisms that give non-Arabic/Hebrew users an accurate picture of how a
    "reversed" UI would look. For this, it is useful to have Unicode letters
    that are the visual reversals of ASCII letters. With a pixel mirroring, the
    page would then come out looking (roughly) like English, with UI elements in
    the right places, and everything readable.

    My first attempt is in the attached graphic, first before graphic mirroring,
    then after. Look at the white box on the left bottom of the "After"
    image.Before
    Pixel Mirroring:
    After Pixel Mirroring:

    A bit crude so far (some letters definitely could use improvement!), but
    actually readable. The challenge is to pick the best characters in the fonts
    available on most people's browsers (although people can be requested to
    download fonts like Code2000). Because we want the characters to work right
    as far as linewrap, etc., if possible they should have pretty much the same
    properties as the respective ASCII letters.
    The table of mappings that I used above is at:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pA-jnsSQQRcY3IFcweX3GOgI would
    appreciate any feedback on better choices that I can incorporate into that
    table. Some of the above above could definitely stand improvement:
    especially the capitals K, P, L, and G, and lowercase t, k, g, and h. I also
    need to add digits and common punctuation.
    Checking If you want to try it out on some text:

       1. Go to http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/translit
       2. Into the Compound 1 box, type: *mirror*
       3. Into the Input box, put some text.
       4. Hit the Transform button

    I used for #3:

    the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

    THE QUICK BROWN FOX JUMPED OVER THE LAZY DOG.