Re: Accents of the same combining class displayed side by side

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 15:57:24 CST

    On 11/6/2008 1:33 PM, Michael Everson wrote:
    > On 6 Nov 2008, at 21:24, Asmus Freytag wrote:
    >
    >> I claim that side by side is common for tall narrow accents, but
    >> uncommon for flat wide ones. Is that the difference?
    >
    > No. Teuthonista usually stacks. For instance, diaeresis atop
    > diaeresis. Same as UPA.

    Good an example of flat and wide diacritics stacking. Just like I claimed.
    > There are also side-by-side accents, like Circumflex and Acute (if I
    > recall correctly; Karl can correct this). And in UPA, you find
    > circumflex and acute stacking as normal.
    Vietnamese has the circumflex and accent not stacking but half-ways
    stacking. Looks like the case of where you have one flat and wide and
    one tall and narrow, you get a range of behaviors.

    > So it is quite possible that citations of both forms in the same
    > document could be required.
    Not clear that this has to be done in plain text. If different languages
    / notations have different *preferences* it's not clear that these
    preferences *must* be presentable in plain text. They would look a bit
    odd, perhaps, but not be ambiguous.

    Rendering engines should be prepared to allow all modes of stacking, and
    CSS or similar protocols might need commands to set the preferred
    stacking mode, but as difficult as this would be to get support for, it
    still does not make a hard and fast case for this to be solved on the
    encoding level.

    A./