combining marks vs IDS (was: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters)

From: Julian Bradfield (jcb+unicode@inf.ed.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 20 2008 - 04:45:00 CST

    One thing I don't really understand is the basis for the difference of
    approach between alphabetic(-ish) and Han.

    The UTC has said, no more precomposed characters.

    On the other hand, the IRG is still encoding more and more obscure
    hanzi, although surely the vast majority of them are describable using
    ideographic description sequences, mostly in a canonical way. (And for
    those characters with two equally obvious decompositions, I'm sure one
    could impose a reasonable canonicalization criterion to choose one.)

    Why are IDSes seen as a stop-gap measure until the described hanzi is
    separately encoded, whereas combining diacritics are seen as the
    definitive way to do things?

    Scotland, with registration number SC005336.