Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Sat Nov 22 2008 - 22:45:27 CST

    Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> replied to Karl
    Pentzlin:

    >> Thus, sequences like U+04E9 U+0304 are NOT appropriate to fulfil the
    >> user's needs, as long as leading operating systems behave like this
    >> more than 10 years after Unicode has decided no longer to accept
    >> precomposed characters.
    >>
    >> Microsoft et al., PLEASE do your homework! Please do it RIGHT NOW!
    >
    > How would you suggest anybody do the homework needed to discover that
    > arbitrary & not-well-documented language X uses combining character
    > sequence <Y, Z>? Can you predict who might take an interest in a
    > particular combining mark sequence two years from now?

    I think Karl may have expected that fonts could be developed in such a
    way that combining diacritical marks would be spaced properly above the
    base character, more or less by magic. I used to think that would be
    possible when I knew nothing about font design, instead of knowing
    almost nothing about font design as I do now.

    I still think it would be reasonable to expect combining marks like
    macrons and circumflexes to be always centered over the base character,
    not off to the right, even if the vertical spacing is wrong. Like I
    said, almost nothing.

    http://www.ewellic.org