Re: Why people still want to encode precomposed letters

From: John Hudson (john@tiro.ca)
Date: Mon Nov 24 2008 - 16:46:47 CST

    Hans Aberg wrote:

    > A think it is most important for the core letters to be properly
    > designed. But the example with "Å" being lowered in the Caledonia font
    > from 1967 to exactly as high as "l" shows that electronic typesetting
    > already has caused poor designs to happen. Font designers probably do
    > not keep track of these subtleties anymore.

    That old Caledonia design is unusual. If you take a look at the majority
    of digital fonts, particularly those made in the last decade, you will
    find that the Å glyph has a full-height A and the ring above is aligned
    to other marks above uppercase letters.

    John Hudson

    --
    Tiro Typeworks        www.tiro.com