Re: Zhuang Han (was: Re: Emoji survey)

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 11:26:22 CST

On Dec 28, 2008, at 4:52 PM, Doug Ewell wrote:

> <vunzndi at vfemail dot net> wrote:
>
>> The [Zhuang Han] proposal first has to go though a national
>> approval process, this involves a number of department and takes
>> several years. Submission is then to the IRG, approval here may
>> well take 7 years, then 3 or more years to go get through WG2 and
>> SG2.
>
> This took me by surprise too. Is it typical for the IRG to spend 7
> years to process a proposal that is being actively pursued?

I'd have to check, but Extension C has taken about that long, and
would have taken longer had not large chunks been deferred.

Remember, the IRG has to check for possible unifications against a set
which is already the better part of 100,000 characters in size. The
IRG is working on streamlining its procedures, but it's still a long,
difficult process at best. Even if things become as streamlined as
possible, I can't see a proposal working its way through the IRG in
fewer than three or four years.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com