Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Doug Ewell (doug@ewellic.org)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 19:52:04 CST

    Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela at cs dot tut dot fi> wrote:

    > Emoji symbols look like images, even though their origin is in Ascii
    > strings like ":-)".

    Emoticon images, like winking faces, have their origin in ASCII strings.
    I'd bet that many of the others, like COCKTAIL GLASS and VIDEO CAMERA
    and SUNSET OVER BUILDINGS, do not.

    > Color and animation are essential issues, and I find it odd that it
    > has not been commented by those that favor the introduction of emoji
    > as characters.

    It's not odd. As James observed, these are characteristics not normally
    associated with plain text. Acknowledging them might be perceived as
    weakening the case for encoding.

    http://www.ewellic.org