Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: Michael D'Errico (mike-list@pobox.com)
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 23:26:51 CST

    >> The emoji illustrate this power -- transmitting fully animated color
    >> images in a few bytes is an efficient use of bandwidth.
    >
    > So Unicode is becoming an encoding format for images and other media?

    Yes, but you don't encode the images directly; you establish a naming
    convention for known images (outside of Unicode) and put those names in
    your documents/messages. The names would be written in a special script
    set aside for just that purpose, similar to how plane 14 language tag
    characters are used to indicate a language.

    > If so: please add some nice unicode planes with the most common Rick
    > Astley moves. In full color and with sync:ed sound. It could save some
    > bandwidth.

    You would only need a small allocation for a Rick Astley Moves script
    that would be used to name your favorite moves. Then you'd include
    those names in messages to your friends in the Rick Astley Fan Club.
    The names are interpreted by your fan club software and the correct
    videos are shown.

    > While we are at it; could we have a flesh plane?

    Not going there.

    Mike