Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 22:40:48 CST

    Asmus Freytag wrote,

    >As has been repeated here, many times, the decision is a case-by-case
    >decision. There are no firm demarcations or hard-and-fast rules.

    >Membership in a set can push something inside the line, that by itself
    >would not be considered. Clearly, that's the case in the current
    >situation as well.

    If any marketing people for cell phone vendors are following
    this discussion, I wonder if you've considered the possibilities
    of using color and effects on the actual words in text messages.

    As is shown by the current emoji craze in Japan and the vast
    use of graphic emoticons in world-wide markets, users are
    very attracted to various ways to "spice up" their messages.
    With this in mind, allowing users to set certain words or phrases
    in different colors might be an alluring feature, especially if
    it could be done efficiently, band-width-wise, and in a manner
    consistent with the existing text interchange protocols we all
    have to work with.

    If you are already considering this, why expend resources
    devising a method to do this kind of thing when there are
    already methods described on the web? Perhaps one of the
    most thoroughly documented methods for setting colors in
    text using plain-text protocols can be found here:

    General overview:
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/court000.htm

    Further information specific to color:
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/courtcol.htm

    Of course, applying style to text isn't just limited to color!

    Naturally, the vendors will want to get together on this to
    ensure interoperability of these new special features.

    Best regards,

    James Kass