Re: Emoji: emoticons vs. literacy

From: James Kass (thunder-bird@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 05:16:47 CST

    Asmus Freytag wrote,

    >>> ... There are no firm demarcations or hard-and-fast rules.
    >>> Membership in a set can push something inside the line, that by itself
    >>> would not be considered. Clearly, that's the case in the current
    >>> situation as well.

    >> Further information specific to color:
    >> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/courtcol.htm
    >>
    >> Of course, applying style to text isn't just limited to color!
    >
    >I what way is your message a reply to my post?
    >
    >I fail to see the connection.

    It's an illustration that when "anything goes", people might try many
    things. If one had a dancing pig icon referenced in the PUA, it would
    take less band-width to transmit and store than the RTF example sent
    earlier by Peter Constable, would it not? Likewise for other RTF data.
    If several vendors used the courtyard codes private agreement, it would
    be a de-facto standard. Its existence as a set might tend to push it
    inside the line.

    Best regards,

    James Kass