RE: writing direction

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 02:04:54 CST

    It's probably in India and in the Arabic world that the taboo is the most
    important: there's a right hand (the "pure" hand) for eating and drinking
    (don't forget that people traditionally eat with their fingers, without
    uisng a fork), and the other left hand (the "impure" hand) is reserved for
    cleaning one's genital or anal parts.

    In the Christian world, the right hand was necessary for signing the cross
    on one's head, chest and shoulders, but I can't see any symbolic reason for
    it, and this tradition is not always observed now. I do agree however that
    this is a very ancient taboo (sinistro is a good example in Roman Latin, but
    there are other examples in Old Greek, and probably even older in Phoenician
    if this tradition has spread throughout all Indo-European, and Semitic
    cultures)

    In French the "droite" direction is also the same feminine as the adjectif
    "droit" (used also as a name to designate the domain of laws studied by
    jurists, just like the "right" in English), and also related to "adroit" and
    "dexterité" (the personal ability to do something correctly). In older
    French it was "dextre". It evidently comes from Latin. The same would apply
    to all Romance languages, but is true as well in Germanic languages ("recht"
    in German), or Nordic languages.

    Does it also apply in Japan, or in China, or in Mongolian old traditions? Or
    in even older Amerindian and Australasian aboriginal cultures?

      _____