Re: Oxford proposes a leaner alphabet

From: Mark Davis (mark.edward.davis@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 03 2009 - 11:17:59 CST

    German is touted as being phonetic, and it is vastly more regular than, say,
    English or Japanese. But in order to really pronounce it you often have to
    know a fair amount of information: the syllable breaks (Wachs-tube vs
    Wach-stube), the emphasis (from the spelling alone, emphasis and breaks
    could vary in beeinflussen: 'be-einflussen, be-'einflussen, bee'-influssen,
    ...), unmarked short vs long vowel distinctions, and whether it is a loan
    word ("USA" oo-ess-aa vs "CIA" "see-eye-ay").

    Do any of these problems pop up in Slavic languages?

    Mark