Re: proposal for a "Standard-Exit" or "Namespace" character

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Apr 13 2009 - 18:43:30 CDT

    Dennie Heuer suggested:

    > ... this is why i think that unicode should support the inclusion (or
    > embedding) of other character sets. it should not know about them and
    > how to specify them. this is the matter of a different standard.

    Ah, but that standard already exists. You are reinventing
    ISO 2022:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_2022

    > (the
    > easiest way is to name or number them offcially.)

    And that also exists. It is called the International Register of Coded
    Character Sets to be Used with Escape Sequences:

    http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/ISO-IR/

    > however, it should
    > provide a character to mark the position at which unicode is 'closed'
    > or 'left'.

    And that is defined by ISO/IEC 10646 itself:

    "When the escape sequences from ISO/IEC 2022 are used, the
    identification of a return, or transfer, from UCS to the
    coding system of ISO/IEC 2022 shall be by the escape sequence
    ESC 02/05 04/00. ..."

    So the escape sequence <U+001B, U+0025, U+0040> gets you
    from Unicode to ISO 2022, if you want to embed other
    character sets using the mechanisms of that standard.

    A warning though: ISO 2022 is basically an implementation flop, outside
    of the limited context in which it is used for character sets
    supported in East Asian email contexts: ISO-2022-JP,
    ISO-2022-CN, etc.

    And I rather doubt that turning an escape sequence (which at
    least has the advantage of being a widely understood and
    somewhat implemented mechanism) into a single character exit
    code would change anything -- you still end up with a stateful
    encoding of the very type that Unicode was invented to get
    away from.

    --Ken

    P.S. If you *really* want a single character exit code, that
    *also* exists already: U+000E SHIFT OUT. But no Unicode
    systems implement that as a character set exit control code,
    for good reasons.