Localizable Sentences Experiment (derives from Re: [Emoji] Symbols for Two-letter Codes)

From: William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 06:47:47 CDT

    On Wednesday 15 April 20009, Johannes Bergerhausen <johannes@bergerhausen.com> wrote to Michael Everson:

    > Yes, please, send me what you like.

    If I may, I would like to send you a Private Use Area character as follows.

    U+F9001 LOCALIZABLE SENTENCE GOOD DAY

    Hopefully in the future there will be a regular Unicode implementation of this code and there will be email software such that someone in England can select the message Good Day from a cascading menu system and the regular Unicode character will be included in the email: then the email would be received by someone in Germany and his or her email software would display the message Guten Tag on the screen. (I hope that I have the correct translation, though I am not certain of that.)

    There could be other localizable sentence characters as well.

    Readers are invited to experiment using the Private Use Area. In some ways it might be easier to use plane 0 Private Use Area codes, though if plane 15 Private Use Area codes are used then experience of how a system encoded in regular Unicode might work could be obtained.

    I am thinking that a few questions could be added and a few answers as well. Maybe people could ask about the weather and receive a reply. It could be a fun experiment and could perhaps become implemented in actual use.

    Yet for the moment I am going to try to send a U+F9001 character.

    I have now generated it in WordPad.

    I have now copied it onto the clipboard and pasted it into SC UniPad and verified that the character has been correctly generated.

    I am going to try to send the character to you in two ways.

    Here is the character pasted into this email.