Re: Handling of Surrogates

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 17:42:48 CDT

    On 4/16/2009 2:55 PM, Mark Davis wrote:
    > I disagree somewhat, if I understand what you wrote.
    I think that you misunderstood what I wrote.
    > When the \u and \U conventions are used:
    >
    > |U+0061 <http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/character.jsp?a=0061>| ( a )
    > LATIN SMALL LETTER A could be represented as any of:
    >
    > 1. 'a'
    > 2. \u0061
    > 3. \U00000061
    >
    > The use of #3 is a waste of space, but should not be illegal (except
    > where \U is not available).
    I agree completely so far.
    > |U+1D41A <http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/character.jsp?a=1D41A>|
    > ( 𝐚 ) MATHEMATICAL BOLD SMALL A could be represented as any of:
    >
    > 1. '𝐚'
    > 2. \uD835\uDC1A
    > 3. \U0000D835\U0000DC1A
    > 4. \U0001D41A
    >
    > Similarly #3 is a waste of space, but should not be illegal. #2 and #3
    > are discouraged where \U is available or UTF-16 is not used, but #2 is
    > necessary where \U is not available (eg Java). [Myself, I like \x{...}
    > escaping better, since it is more uniform. Having a terminator allows
    > variable length.]
    OK. Here's where I think it matters how the escapes are defined.

    If you use the definition

        '\uxxxxx' - escape sequence for a UTF-16 code unit
        '\Uxxxxxxxx' - escape sequence for a UTF-32 code unit

    then everything is well-defined. Examples 1, 2. and 4 in your second set
    are clearly legal, and example 3 is clearly not equivalent. Note, that
    lack of equivalence follows from the definition of UTF-32. Just as the
    equivalence between the examples 2 and 3 in the *first* set follows from
    the defintion of UTF-32 and UTF-16.

    How would you rigorously define these two styles of escapes, so that
    example #3 (second set) becomes legal? You would have to do something
    complicated like

        '\uxxxxx' - escape sequence for a UTF-16 code unit
        '\Uxxxxxxxx' - escape sequence for a UTF-32 code
                              unit if xxxxxxxx >= 0x10000, but escape
                              sequence for a UTF-16 code unit
                              if xxxxxxxx < 0x10000.

    To me, that seems unnecessarily convoluted.

    Further, you create the problem that illegal UTF-32 can get converted to
    legal UTF-32.

    Here's how: Client 1 starts out with illegal UTF-32 containing the
    sequence <0000D835, 0000DC1A>. Assume this gets turned into the escapes
    "\U0000D835\U0000DC1A" and sent to the server. Client 2 receives this
    escaped sequence and interprets it as the single character sequence
    <0001D41A>. Had client 1 sent the UTF-32 string to client 2 directly,
    client 2 would have been able to reject it as illegal UTF-32.

    However, now we have client 3, which works in UTF-16 and has data of the
    form <D835, DC1A>. Under your scheme, client 3 has a choice. It can send
    any one of these four sequences of escape sequences containing surrogates
     "\uD835\U0000DC1A"
    "\U0000D835\uDC1A"
    "\U0000D835\U0000DC1A"
    or
     "\uD835\uDC1A"

    To the server, the third sequence of escapes matches what client 2 has
    produced starting with an illegal UTF-32 sequence.

    You now have introduced into your distributed application a way to
    convert illegal UTF-32 sequences silently to legal UTF-32 sequences.
     From a security point of view, that would give me pause.

    A./