Re: Determining Locale in a Browser for Web 2.0 Applications

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Sat Apr 18 2009 - 15:07:05 CDT

    -On [20090418 21:35], Ed Trager (ed.trager@gmail.com) wrote:
    >Will HTTP Accept-Language ever give you any more information than
    >Javascript's Navigator.language provides?

    An example:

    Whereas, what I understand from the various implementations of
    navigator.language, the JavaScript value is one result only.

    Accept-Language gives a list of the languages a user's browser wants to
    settle for, using the q-value to specify the particular preference level.

    >Just out of curiosity, which "Babel" project are you talking about?

    http://babel.edgewall.org/

    Sorry for not making that clear.

    >So I am just wondering if anyone has been thinking about exposing more
    >specific locale information inside of web browsers? For example, a
    >browser could just read the OS's locale information and expose that in
    >a relevant object accessible via Javascript. Such an object might
    >report information about numeric and date formats, currency, etc.

    Well, in a sense it does that via the language-territory combination. You
    just have to map that combination to something sensible on the server side.

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    The soul's dark cottage, batter'd and decay'd, lets in new light
    through chinks that Time has made...