Re: Localizable Sentences Experiment

From: Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven (asmodai@in-nomine.org)
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 03:02:48 CDT

    -On [20090420 17:16], William_J_G Overington (wjgo_10009@btinternet.com) wrote:
    >I am no expert on localization so the idea of these sentences may well
    >raise problems of which I am unaware. If so, please feel free to mention
    >them as I am happy to learn.

    What are you trying to achieve with assigning arbitrary code points to even
    more arbitrarily chosen sentences from an infinite set of possibilities?

    A message string file for a small to medium sized software project I work on
    already contains 788 messages for L10N.
    Bigger projects have even much larger sentence content.

    So using those codepoint markers becomes unwieldy and non-scaling.

    Then you also have the matter that something like 'good day' in English does
    not map one to one with common greetings in many other languages. The
    semantic meaning may be similar, but it is not fully guaranteed.

    イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
    Death comes for us all, we can only choose how to face it when it comes.