Re: Chinese forced to change their name hanzi

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 16:59:27 CDT

    On Apr 21, 2009, at 3:24 PM, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:

    > -On [20090421 22:39], Benjamin M Scarborough (benjamin.scarborough@student.utdallas.edu
    > ) wrote:
    >> Now the real question is: does this give the character enough usage
    >> be added to Unicode?
    >
    > I would want to see the entire Morohashi in Unicode. :P
    > (And I am sure there's more collections like that out there which
    > are not
    > yet in Unicode.)

    There are. Back when I had more time than I do now, I went through
    all the major Cantonese-English dictionaries and some general Chinese-
    English dictionaries and cataloged the missing characters. These are
    making up the bulk of the characters Unicode is proposing for
    extension D. We also did a systematic review of the 1947 traditional
    edition of the Cihai and found two missing characters there, and we
    know of some missing characters found in the Xiandai Hanyu Cidian.
    (They were all attested elsewhere and the Xiandai Hanyu Cidian
    provided useful multiple attestations. We haven't actually done a
    systematic look through it.)

    Unfortunately, all the work along these lines has been done by Chinese-
    speakers and not Japanese- or Korean- or Vietnamese-speakers, so the
    coverage of Chinese dictionaries is better than that for other East
    Asian languages. Personally, I would love to see someone fill in the
    gaps in Morohashi.

    =====
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com