Re: Which Character sets to support for kazakh cyrillic alphabet ?

From: David Starner (prosfilaes@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 10:57:30 CDT

    On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 11:51 AM, Andreas Prilop
    <andreasprilopwww@trashmail.net> wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Apr 2009, David Starner wrote:
    >
    >>> Estonian is not a Baltic language.
    >>
    >> Unless they've moved Estonia since I last checked, it is most
    >> certainly a Baltic (=pertaining to the Baltic states) language, even
    >> if it's not a Baltic (=subgroup of Indo-European) language.
    >
    > "Baltic language" is a linguistic term like "Slavic language" or
    > "Romance language".
    >  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic_languages#cite_note-0

    Of all the technical groups, I would think that linguists would
    understand that they can't hold a term hostage and accuse the general
    populace of misusing the term whenever it's used in a way that doesn't
    conform to the dictionaries of their particular discipline's jargon.
    Especially a term that is composed of two words with everyday
    meanings; just like a hot dog can be an overheated canine, and a
    normal subgroup can be a commonplace group of people who are part of a
    larger group, a Baltic language can be a language from the Baltic
    countries.

    --
    Kie ekzistas vivo, ekzistas espero.