Re: OpenType update for Unicode 5.2/6.0?

From: Saqqara (saqqara@saqqara.org)
Date: Thu Oct 14 2010 - 08:26:51 CDT

    ο»ΏPleased to hear the tag list is being updated. Will the 4 character tags follow ISO 15924 (as I'm assuming)? If so at least we all write code and mark up fonts accordingly then sit back and wait for system software support, browsers etc. to kick in.

    My reading of the OFF standard is the tag set can be extended by the registrar (i.e. Microsoft) without the need for a new rev. of the full ISO standard. Is this correct?

    Traditionally, support for new versions of Unicode has been slow in coming, in part for product lifecycle reasons. For Microsoft, Unicode 5.0 for Windows was associated with Vista release if I'm not mistaken (which I may well be!). Anyhow, seems to me now that with the internet browser standards focus of IE9 etc. and the flood of mobile devices - Windows Phone 7 (and for all I know Windows Slate 7) v Android v iOS etc. - this tradition has come to an end and a more agile approach is needed for commercial relevance. I mention this on http://jtotobsc.blogspot.com/2010/10/unicode-60-released-let-challenge-begin.html. Can you say anything on this topic from the Microsoft perspective? Love to hear any views from Google and Apple too.

    Thanks
    Bob Richmond